Over the past years, my stand-bys have been along the lines of Gap, Banana Republic, BDG of Urban Outfitters,and American Apparel - but recently I discovered the versatility of Japanese-based UNIQLO. It took me a bit to catch on to the utility of UNIQLO. When I first visited the intimidating two-level store in SoHo last year, I wasn't impressed by the prices or the cuts of the clothes - it just seemed like a boring version of American Apparel with all its colorful stacks. But this year its seems that they've added a lot more variety and the prices have gone down considerably, not to mention they have frequent sales. Pants, jackets, lamb-wool and cashmere blend cardigans, scarves, pajamas - you name it! All in an unending spectrum of brilliant colors and warm-weather materials. A wonderful way to brighten up a winter closet! They have great choices for inner wear meant as padding under your coat, such as fleece jackets in every color for $20 or cashmere blend sweaters for $40. I've found that UNIQLO is relatively easy on your wallet without skimping on materials or wearability.
Credit: UNIQLO.comMy favorite innovation of UNIQLO is their new HeatTech line. This includes lightweight shirts and leggings that are made of a special fiber designed to use natural body moisture to insulate against the cold, just the way wool would. Now that the weather is bad, I throw one on every day no matter what I'm wearing. Unlike typical long underwear designs, HeatTech is wearable, including simple but flattering scoop-neck shirts and turtlenecks. Definitely sure to cure those winter blues this season!
Below are examples of HeatTech pieces incorporated into outfits:
Below are examples of HeatTech pieces incorporated into outfits:
