Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Dazzle a (Lecture) Room

I hated sequins as a child. Growing up in Egypt, sequins symbolized weddings, and weddings symbolized dozens of old women planting fat, red lipstick stains on my cheek. I hated it. However, as time flew by, the idea of the little plastic critters became less intimidating and more playful, eventually growing into what some would call an "unhealthy obsession" of mine.

Compared to being the staple of elegant, fun evening attire a few years back, sequins have grown into a fashion epidemic and can be spotted on the streets of New York City on any given afternoon today. Some of my friends think it's ludicrous that people wear shiny plastic things during the day and occasionally poke fun at them. I, on the other hand, am a huge fan of the statement. Sequins, in moderation, can transform your look in seconds. Adding a sequin jacket or cardigan to a pair of jeans and a loose white t-shirt will instantly sophisticate your outfit and add desirable edge. I am a huge fan of this cardigan from J.Crew:

Credit: Jcrew.com

If you want to go more dramatic (which I would applaud you for), you might like this piece from my favorite fashion blogger’s online ebay store:

Credit: stores.ebay.com/Treasure-Chest-Vintage

Still not a fan of the dazzle in the light? Fair enough. Perhaps I can suggest this piece (which is a prized possession of mine) from Express for a fun night out:

Credit: express.com

What are your opinions on sequins? Are you a fan of the dazzle effect or is it too much? Comment and let us know!

blog comments powered by Disqus